Thursday, June 18, 2009

ROAD TRIP

Tomorrow morning my brother and I will share the old Hughes vacation rhyme…”Grab your shoes and grab your socks. Everybody hit the docks!” Strange, I know. Every summer vacation as kids, my Dad would begin the journey with this little ditty that I’m sure he made up. If we were traveling from place to place, then each day we would hear him wake us up with his little poem.

Tomorrow’s road trip takes us down into southern Ohio. While googling my Houston surname one evening up came
Houstonia, a B&B down in South Charleston, Ohio which was the former home of a 2 or 3 times removed cousin, Foster Houston. When I saw that website, a neon sign began blinking in my head….ROAD TRIP….ROAD TRIP. My brother, Ken is ALWAYS ready and willing in the summer to take off for places unknown….a built in, top notch, travel companion if there ever was one!

The itinerary for the three days includes visiting the Old Grist Mill in Clifton, Ohio, touring a Frank Lloyd Wright home in Springfield, Ohio, wandering around the town of South Charleston, Ohio, visiting cemeteries in South Charleston and Springfield (I did mention what an indulgent fellow Ken is—wink wink), AND driving down to Dayton, Ohio and spending the day with my college roommate, Anne. She has planned to show us some of the historical areas and, of course, a cemetery in Dayton--I hope and believe it is Woodland Cemetery. Anne is a fantastic cook and will be preparing what I am sure, is going to be one of the BEST meals I have ever eaten in my life.

As my day has progressed and I have given even more thought to this trip, something about a cemetery in Dayton has been stirring in my brain. I had to open up FTM and search around my husband's roots and lo and behold, the very cemetery we will be visiting is the final resting place of some of Ted's greats--his great great grandmother, great grand aunt and uncle and various first cousins twice removed. From the photos on line it looks to have some pretty remarkable monuments.

This all sounds so exciting, that I can’t wait until tomorrow. You all know that this will be great blogging material. Miss Snap Happy's camera is charged. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. My gosh you always find the best graveyard stuff on your families. I suppose if I went to Quebec I could spend months photographing my families resting places.
    No fair you get all the good graves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sounds like a wonderful way to spend the summer. have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a great time, and please do share your findings when you get back!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete