|Columbiana County Infirmary circa 1900|
My maternal great-grandaunt, Margaret "Maggie" C. Orr, daughter of William Morland Orr and Nancy Agnes Cannon Orr, was born in Elkrun Township, Columbiana County, Ohio in 1842. She was only seven years old when her father died. Her mother remarried; however, Maggie's stepfather only lived three years after the wedding. Nancy Agnes Cannon Orr McCormick raised her children after 1853 alone.
|1870 Ohio Federal Census|
Centre Township, Columbiana County, Ohio
June 1, 1870
The portion of the 1870 census report above contains the names of the first listed people working at the Columbiana County Infirmary. Robert Stevenson was the supervisor and his wife, Moriah Stevenson, the matron.
John Groomes, age 33, farm laborer, value of personal property $2,000, born in Ohio
Margaret Orr, age 27, domestic servant, born in Ohio
How long Jim and Maggie worked together at the infirmary is unknown. It does appear that this is where they met.
On November 10, 1870, twenty-eight year old, Maggie Orr married thirty-four year old James F. Groomes in Columbiana County, Ohio. Reverend William Lynch, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, performed the wedding service. James was the son of James Grooms and Nancy Frederick Grooms. James was born in April, 1836 in Ohio. The surname is spelled with and without the letter "e".
The Groomes welcomed their first child, a daughter, Addie Groomes, on October 3, 1871. Addie was probably born in Centre Township, Columbiana County, Ohio.
Two more daughters were born, Myrtha Groomes on January 28, 1873 and Harriet Groomes on April 15, 1875. Both girls were also probably born in Centre Township, Columbiana County, Ohio.
In 1876, James F. Groomes was elected the new supervisor of the Columbiana County Infirmary.
November 9, 1876
|1880 Ohio Federal Census|
Centre Township, Columbiana County
June 5 & 7, 1880
|1900 Ohio Federal Census|
Centre Township, Columbiana County
June 4, 1900
John F. Groomes, head, born April 1836, age 64, widower, born in Ohio, father born in Maryland, mother born in Pennsylvania, farmer, can read, write and speak English, owns a farm with mortgage.
Achsah Groomes was enumerated on the 1900 and 1910 Ohio Federal census with the family of William J. and Lorena A. Yates, living at East Rail Road in Salem, Columbiana County, Ohio. Achsah was employed there as a housekeeper.
On January 20, 1905, John F. Groomes died at age sixty nine. He was buried beside his wife, Maggie, at Mt. Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery. He has a Civil War marker beside the gravestone.
|The Evening Review|
East Liverpool, Ohio
February 4, 1905
|John F. Groomes Civil War Information|
|Very informative biography on|
John F. Groomes and Family
Corrections in the margin
|Centre Township Map|
Showing relationship of Lisbon,
John F. Groomes Farm, the County Infirmary
and Mt. Zion Cemetery (the red circle)
- Addie Groomes, born on October 1, 1871 in Centre Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, died on April 12, 1925 in Sebring, Mahoning County, Ohio. Married Harry W. Cope on July 14, 1892 in Columbiana County, Ohio. Children: Margaret A. Cope, Earl Eustice Cope, Virginia Ruth Cope, Mayme B. Cope and John Frederick Cope.
- Myrtha Groomes, born on January 28, 1873 in Centre Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, died on May 29, 1944 in Salem, Columbiana County, Ohio. Married Edward G. Cox on April 2, 1902 in Columbiana County, Ohio.
- Harriet M. Groomes, born on April 15, 1875 in Centre Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, died on December 24, 1928. Married David Clarence Burson on April 15, 1896 in Columbiana County, Ohio. Children: Esther L. Burson, Arthur Nelson Burson, Emery John Burson, Mary M. Burson and Sylvia Lorane Burson.
- Achsah Groomes, born May 11, 1878 in Centre Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, died on May 15, 1962 in Salem, Columbiana County, Ohio. Married widower, Mervin George Farmer, on February 11, 1915 in Columbiana County, Ohio.
- Frank Oscar Groomes born on April 10, 1885 in Centre Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, died on October 19, 1940 in Columbiana County, Ohio. Married on March 2, 1911 in Columbiana County, Ohio, Ruth Ann Huffnagle. Children: William R. Groomes, Wanda Margaret Groomes, Harold Wayne Groomes. This family group seems to have dropped the "e" in the surname.
Back in 1998, a new cousin, Jean Marie Barcus, contacted me regarding the Orr and Groomes families. I must have posted an inquiry in a genealogy board out on the net and she was responding. I gratefully accepted some Xeroxed old photos of her line. Although Xeroxed photos are not in the ballpark of scanned ones, I have played around with them and then hit them with an old photo app.
Margaret "Maggie" Orr Groomes
|Margaret "Maggie" Orr|
Margaret "Maggie" Orr
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however, if they are inappropriate, they will not be published. PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2021, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser