Margaret Cannon, my maternal great great grand-aunt, daughter of Lindsey Cannon and Elizabeth Fife Cannon, was born in July 1813 in Columbiana County, Ohio. According to an 1816 tax assessment, the Cannon's were making their home in Section 11, Madison Township. Margaret was probably born on the family farm in Madison Township.
Margaret's father was a farmer and purchased new property in St. Clair Township, Columbiana County, Ohio. By 1830, the Cannon's had relocated to that area. As the second oldest child, Margaret would have helped her mother with household chores and raising her younger brothers nd sisters.
On September 11, 1833, twenty year old Margaret Cannon married twenty year old Michael Souder in Columbiana County, Ohio. The wedding ceremony was performed by Reverend William Reed of the Presbyterian Church. Michael's parents were Michael Souders and Elizabeth Adams Souders. Also written as Sowders. The Souders were also landowners in St. Clair Township.
Michael's wedding listing is spelled Souders; however, the final "s" must have been dropped and the surname became Souder.
According to the 1840 St Clair Township, Columbiana County, Ohio census, Michael Souder was employed in a trade or manufacturing. He is enumerated directly under his father-in-law, Lindsey Cannon. Perhaps Michael is working in one of the trades that were supplied at Cannons Mills.
By 1840, the Souder's had three daughters all born in St. Clair Township.. Amanda Souder, born in 1834, Mahala Souder born November 8, 1835 and Elizabeth Souder born in 1838.
It is unknown how long after 1840, the Souders lived in St. Clair Township. Between 1840-1849, two more children joined the family, John Souder born in 1842 and Frances Souder born in 1845. The Sounders remained in Columbiana County during that decade.
|1850 Ohio Federal Census|
Elkrun Township, Columbiana County
August 29, 1850
|1860 Kansas Federal Census|
Mound City Township, Linn County
August 6, 1860
On August 12, 1860, twenty-six year old Amanda Souder married thirty-three year old John Armstrong in Linn County, Kansas. John's parents were Nehemiah Armstrong and Achsah English Armstrong.
|1870 Missouri Federal Census|
Dunksburg, Pettis County
August 20, 1870
Lindsey Cannon Souder, age twenty-three married twenty-seven year old Amanda L. Fisher on April 21, 1878 in Pettis County, Missouri. Amanda's parents were John Fisher and Jane Farris Fisher.
|1880 Missouri Federal Census|
Dunksburg, Blackwater Township, Pettis County
June 5, 1880
Thirty-seven year old Mathew Cannon Souder married twenty-seven year old Martha I. Welch on December 22, 1887 in Johnson, Missouri. Martha's parents were William Wesley Welch and Elizabeth Teague Welch.
|From Find A Grave|
| Linn County Republic|
Mound City, Kansas
January 3, 1890
|1900 Oklahoma Federal Census|
Patterson, Garfield County
June 18, 1900
|Margaret Cannon Souder|
Posted and shared from Ancestry.com
Children of Michael Souder and Margaret Cannon Souder:
- Amanda Souder, born 1834 St Clair Township, Columbiana County, Ohio; died December 28, 1889, Linn County, Kansas. Married John Armstrong, August 12, 1860, Linn County, Kansas. Children: James Souder Armstrong, Ira Francis Armstrong, Isadore Linn Armstrong and Otis Chester Armstrong.
- Mahala Souder, born November 8, 1835, St. Clair Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, died July 23, 1922, Chandler, Lincoln County, Oklahoma. Married Thomas D. Searan on March 10, 1868, Clark County, Ohio. Children: Norah Elizabeth Searan, Ellen Amanda Searan, Isadore Minnie Searan and John Thomas Searan.
- Ellen Elizabeth Souder, born October 22, 1838, St. Clair Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, died September 16, 1925. Married William Wright Wilson on October 22, 1860, Linn County, Kansas. Children: Joseph W. Wilson and Sabina Wilson.
- John Souder, born 1842, St. Clair Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, died 1860.
- Frances M. Souder, born 1845, Columbiana County, Ohio.
- Mathew Cannon Souder, born May 29, 1850, Elkrun Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, died January 15, 1921, LaMonte, Pettis County, Missouri. Married Martha I. Welch on December 22, 1888, Johnson, Missouri. Children: Zola Edna Souder, Dessie W. Souder, Mary M. Souder, Elva Beatrice Souder and Cannon Clemoth Souder.
- Margaret Armina "Mina" Souder, born March 22, 1853, Elkrun Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, died June 16, 1929, Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma. Married David Price Gilger, 1876. David's parents were Daniel Campbell Gilger and Anna Price Gilger. Children: Dexter Gilger, Athan Gilger, Lawson Gilger, Ellsworth Gilger and Jess L. Gilger.
- Lindsey Cannon Souder, born April 19. 1855, Elkrun Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, died May 1, 1941, Pettis County, Missouri. Married Amanda L. Fisher, April 21, 1878, Pettis County, Missouri. Children: Jennie Souder.
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however, if they are inappropriate, they will not be published. PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2021, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser
Post a Comment