Friday, December 3, 2010

Advent Calendar Dec 3--Christmas Tree Ornaments

Growing Up Hughes, I can vividly recall these little plastic ornaments hanging from the branches of our holiday tree. Since they were plastic, they lasted for years. When placed on a branch over a light bulb, the little, colored and twisted piece of metal would spin adding a twinkling movement to the Christmas tree.

Over the years, I have found several of these 1950's spinning ornaments at various antique shops and out on e-bay. I will note that some of them don't seem to spin since my tree lights are the smaller ones which generate less light and heat. Those that do spin, are placed front and center on the tree.

They have now become a memory for my two sons. Perhaps, in the future, these delightful holiday ornaments might they might be on a blog called, "Growing Up Hiser".

© 2010, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser

4 comments:

  1. Those are a type of ornament I've never seen before - fascinating! (and I LOVE the comment about "Growing up Hiser" - even if they don't blog it, the memories will be there!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw those but my grandsons would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heat from the old lights used to make a few different ornaments activate. They don't make them like they used to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard of these - really neat! I do have some silvery ornaments that are made to be placed on the little lights so that the light glows from within, and I love those. The best thing is sitting in the dark looking at the Christmas tree....

    ReplyDelete