Thursday, December 23, 2010

Advent Calendar Day 23--Christmas Sweetheart Memories

My great great grandfather has such beautiful handwriting
AND, don't you love the use of "spinster"..lol

     This was not one of the advent calendar memes I was going to use.....primarily because I don't have any personal sweetheart memories of the holidays.....then I seemed to remember that one of my ancestors was married on or near Christmas. And my memory served me right!!! 

    George Henry Hughes and Mary Ann Storey, my paternal great great grandparents were married on CHRISTMAS DAY! The date, December 25, 1870. The wedding ceremony took place at All Saints Church, Stranton, Durham County, England. This area is located in good old Hartlepool, England. 

    Witnesses for the ceremony were: Jane Sharp and George Robinson Sharp--to date I don't know who these people were or if they relate to the family. Mary Ann Storey has Robinson lineage. George Henry Hughes signed his name to the marriage license, but Mary Ann Storey Hughes signed with an " X " Address for both George Henry and Mary Ann is listed as Stranton. George Henry's father is listed as Samuel Hughes a puddler. Mary Ann Storey's father is listed as John Storey a blacksmith. 

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however if they are inappropriate, they will not be published.  

PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2010, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser



1 comment:

  1. Cool document Linda, it gives hints at a bigger story:
    puddler - a worker who turns pig iron into wrought iron by puddling
    ironworker - a person who makes articles of iron

    And a spinster at 19??

    ReplyDelete