Thursday, July 30, 2009

HAPPY DANCE--Monongalia, West Virginia Marriage Docs on Line


Time for another genealogy Happy Dance for Flipside. I swung by one of my favorite West Virginia websites, the West Virginia Division of Culture and History Vital Research Records Search, and checked on the marriage information and Monongalia County's are posted. I was so excited, I couldn't figure out which surname to plug into the search engine first. So far, the best find is an actual scan of my paternal great grandparents actual marriage license--George Ethelbert VanGilder and Jessica (Jessie) Pool.




The curiosity was the minister--Hough Houston. George VanGilder's maternal grandmother, Sarah Hill's maiden name was Houston. I have a Hoffman Houston in my FTM and he would be a second cousin to George. I went to one of my new best friends--Google Books--and was able to find many resources for Hough, but no where have I found his parent's names. An educated guess is that Hoffman and Hough are one in the same, but I plan to continue my search. Stay tuned, there will be a blog for him in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. Oh good news. I have done a tree for someone who's last name is Wanless as in Wanless, West Virginia. I will have to have a look and see what I can find.
    Thanks for the info and stay tuned for the upcoming road crew calendar. I don't think I have the courage to go and take photos of them actually. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finding these! There is an obit for a Rev. Hough Houston who died in Maryland in 1952 (previously in New York). Mentions relatives - including a brother Thomas at Mona? W Va and a sister Lindsay Protzman of Pa. I saved a copy in case this connects.

    ReplyDelete