Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Sampson Frum Pool--A Civil War Letter



Martinsburg, May 23rd 1863

Dear Mother

I take this opportunity of writing you a few lines To let you know that I am well and hope that these few lines find you and all the rest of the Family well.  I Received a letter from you on the 20th Inst and was glad To Hear from you all.  I got a letter from Pap.  Since I have been here I am in Charles M. Addison's Train Driving from Hagerstown to Winchester.  John Hall, Z M Gidley (Zackquill Morgan Gidley) & Oliver dunn  They are in the same train that I am in   you wanted To Know when I am coming home  as far as that is concerned I dont know when I will come home  Tell Bill (assuming this is his brother, William Asby Pool) to get two scythes and a stick before Harvest for they will be hard to get  Tell Bill that I want him to put my colt in pasture at Dr Camels  Mother I don't want him rode much this summer  I cant get any paper or Envelopes out here or I would have answered your letter sooner  I send my love to all my inquiring friends & Receive a good share for your selves  I Remain your affectionate son until death

Samson F Pool

Write Soon

To Ann L Pool
Direct you letter to Martinsburg Berkeley Co Virginia

Wrote By  J W Hall  (perhaps John W Hall mentioned above)

****************

Civil War Letter --Flipside Blog written in 2009 
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however, if they are inappropriate, they will not be published.    PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2020, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser


No comments:

Post a Comment