Today I am tearing myself away from cruise photos and concentrating on my Hartlepool, England family. A recent e-mail from a direct cousin has pulled me back to genealogy after a long absence. In previous UK Hughes blogs I have mentioned that back in 2003, my two brothers and I, had the good fortune to make a trip across the pond to reconnect with our Hughes roots in Hartlepool. During those few brief days, I was able to hear old stories, collect numerous precious photographs and finally get the family group chart in order. Over the years I have been able to network with other cousins who have seen my genealogy home page. Slowly the George Henry and Mary Ann Storey Hughes chart has come to life with photographs, additional names, documents and dates plus remembered stories. This family group chart of my paternal great great grandparents, has a photo of each individual (if I have one). My hope is that the blog will continue to help me connect with family--worldwide--and we can all continue to add additional information and photographs. I would like to add that in reviewing my blogs, I have NOT given my paternal great great Hughes grandparents the attention that is due. This will now be corrected. Thank you cousin for waking me from my genealogy lethargy.
4. Samuel Hughes was born in 1876 in West Hartlepool, Durham County, England, died 1936 in West Hartlepool, Durham County, England. Married on May 1, 1901 at St. Hilda's Church, Hartlepool, England, Sarah Jane Adamson. Thanks to Irene Hughes O'Shea I have networked with numerous cousins who descend from this branch. There are photos and family stories.
5. Mary Alice Hughes was born on May 28, 1881, West Hartlepool, Durham County, England and died on February 6, 1949 in West Hartlepool, Durham County, England. On September 3, 1910 she married Eli Marsh at St. Aidan's Church, West Hartlepool, Durham County, England. Mary Alice died on February 6, 1949 in West Hartlepool, England. I do not know where she and Eli are buried. When I visited Hartlepool in 2003, I had the extreme pleasure to meet John George Marsh, Mary Alice's son. John identified the photo of his grandmother, Mary Ann Storey Hughes (above) and had countless family stories to share. Following John George Marsh's death, his son shared photos and Marsh documents with me.
6. Joseph Hill Hughes was born in 1883 in West Hartlepool, Durham County, England. I do know he lived his life in West Hartlepool; however, have no idea of the date of his death or where he is buried. In 1905 he married Sarah Jane Lester. When I visited Hartlepool, I was able to meet another Linda Hughes....Linda Hughes Wilson, a direct descendant of Joseph and Sarah Lester Hill. She was able to share several old photos from the early 1900's.
7. Thomas H. Hughes, a twin, was born in 1886 in West Hartlepool, Durham County, England and died after 1965. I believe he married Gertrude Hunter. Apparently when my paternal grandparents (George Henry and Sarah VanGilder Hughes) visited Hartlepool in 1965, the only Hughes in the telephone directory was Thomas. George talked with his Uncle Thomas by phone and Thomas neglected to tell the other Hughes family members still in Hartlepool that their American relation was in town.
8. Elizabeth Hughes, a twin, was born in 1886 in West Hartlepool, Durham County, England. She married Robert Dawson at St. Aidan's Church, West Hartlepool, England on May 5, 1906. The Dawson's had to daughters, Elsie and Mildred Dawson. Elizabeth died in March 1941, West Hartlepool and Robert in June 1969.
9. William Alfred Hughes was born in 1888 in West Hartlepool, Durham County, England. I have no further information on William. One story that was passed down mentioned that William was deaf.
9. Aidan Hughes, a twin, was born on March 26, 1895, West Hartlepool, Durham County, England and died in 1943 at home in West Hartlepool, England. In 1918 he married Florence Lester. I do not know where Aidan and Florence are buried. I spent much time with this branch of the family when I was in Hartlepool. They shared numerous family stories, documents and photographs with me.
10. Twin Hughes was born on March 26, 1895, West Hartlepool, Durham County, England. Died at birth or very young. No one seems to remember the sex of the baby.
© 2010, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser
My thanks also to your cousin for getting you back into genealogy and blogging - missed you!ReplyDelete