Sunday, February 4, 2018

Tombstone Tuesday--Samuel Hughes of West Hartlepool, England

    

     I have double checked Flipside and do not think I have posted this before.  In my attempt this year to blog more, I will admit the information was found two years ago during my hiatus. ;-)

     This Samuel Hughes is my paternal 3x great grandfather. I will go into more detail as to his family story at a later date.  He was the son of William and Mary Hughes and born in Kingswinford in the County of Staffordshire, England in 1830.  He married Ann Hill in 1849 and by 1871 the family had relocated to West Hartlepool, England.  The photo of Samuel's tombstone was found on Gravestone Photographic Resource.


Samuel Hughes Death Certificate 1895
West Hartlepool, England

    
     Samuel and Ann Hughes were living at their married daughter's, Anna Hughes Hussey, home at 76 Salisbury Terrace, West Hartlepool, England.  Samuel died at the house on December 4, 1895 at age sixty-five of bronchitis and general lung congestion.  Samuel's tombstone is located in Municipal North Cemetery, Hartlepool, Durham County, England.

     HUGHES.--On the 4th  inst., (instante mense--a date of the current month), at 76, Salisbury terrace, Studley-road, Samuel Hughes, aged 63.  Interment on Saturday, at 2:30.  Friends please accept this intimation.--Deeply regretted.    

     The obituaries from this time in the Hartlepool newspapers do have the sentence, "Friends please accept this intimation."  Intimation was not a word I was familiar with and wondered what it meant.  A quick search online at Dictionary.com gave me one definition--announcement or declaration.  Often I have also seen, "Friends please accept this the only intimation.

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however, if they are inappropriate, they will not be published.    PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2018, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser


No comments:

Post a Comment