Friday, February 16, 2024

Heirlooms


     Amy Johnson Crow has a 52 Ancestors Week blog challenge which I have decided to join.  I am hoping it may help me to pinpoint someone or something that I have researched and not blogged about on Flipside.  AND push me to blog about family each week in 2024.  Sometimes I get lazy. 😁  Let's see how well I keep up.

     Week #8 (February 19-25) is Heirlooms. 


     Good Grief.  What family heirlooms haven't I already covered.  Answer: How about the 8 Tiffin Crystal glasses Aunt Midge gave me back in 1978?  

Aunt Midge with Aric Hughes Hiser
Summer 1978
Tiffin, Ohio

     During the Summer 0f 1978, we drove to Tiffin, Ohio to visit with my husband's parents.  A surprise guest was Mildred Deleta Hiser Wendt.  Referred to as Aunt Midge, although to my husband she was his grandaunt and to baby Aric, his great grandaunt.
 
     As the day continued Aunt Midge gifted me 8 pieces of Tiffin Crystal.  Four water goblets and 4 champagne sherbets.  Having attended college in Tiffin, I was well aware of the Tiffin Crystal factory and had actually spent time there during my college years.  

   

Tiffin is Forever
A Stemware Identification Guide

Bob Page and Dale Frederiksen
page 36

     Optic is beautiful in its simplicity, although plain compared to many patterns.  They are crystal and not glass, which Tiffin did produce in later years.   

     I was told that these crystal glasses belonged to Aunt Midge's mother, Isabelle Smith Hiser Nance and that Midge's father, Quincy Larue Hiser, did, at one time, work at the Tiffin Glass factory.  If Aunt Midge's story is correct, these glasses are from the 1900-1924 time frame.  The Hiser family is enumerated in Tiffin on the 1910 Ohio census. 

     Wake up Linda.  You have done very little blogging on your husband's family.  I have no web links to these folks on my blog and yet you do have hard copy files.  Shameful.

  I am going to use this as a call to begin blogging about my husband's ancestry.


I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however, if they are inappropriate, they will not be published.    PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2024, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser


No comments:

Post a Comment