Saturday, January 13, 2024

Favorite Photo. Finally a Brownie or Fake It 'til You Make It


      Amy Johnson Crow has a 52 Ancestors Week blog challenge which I have decided to join.  I am hoping it may help me to pinpoint someone or something that I have researched and not blogged about on Flipside.  AND push me to blog about family each week in 2024.  Sometimes I get lazy. 😁  Let's see how well I keep up.

     Week #3 (January 15-21) is Favorite Photo. 


     
This month is the beginning of Girl Scout cookie orders.  It has had me thinking back to my own scouting days in the 1950's.  One of my favorite photos is of me in my brownie uniform.

     At Perrysville Elementary School in the 50's, one day of the week was designated as scout day.  All students who were involved in scouting could wear their scout uniform to school.  

Yep, my Ginny doll in her Brownie uniform
     I was so envious of those girls in their Brownie uniforms.  How I wanted to get to the age to join.  My maternal grandmother hand sewed most of my school clothes (dresses back then).  She made me a brown corduroy jumper that I wore on scout day to school.  Remember fake it 'til you make it. 😇


I save too much stuff
My Brownie pin and ring

     From the "Baby Book" my mother kept for me, she notes that at age eight I became a Brownie and what a proud moment it was.  It would have been at the beginning of third grade.  At last I could join and wear a "real" Brownie uniform to scout day.


     Girl Scout cookies now on sale also brought to mind that as a Brownie and a Girl Scout we had to sell cans of peanuts.  How I hated going door to door hawking them.  

My Girl Scout sash from the 1950's
Not too many badges.  Not overly ambitious.

     Following Brownies, I flew up to Girl Scouts.  Another uniform to wear to elementary school.  I think I stayed in Girl Scouts through sixth grade. Perhaps that was a year or two.

Buddy Burner
     Oddly, I don't have many memories of being a scout.  I know the meetings were held in Perrysville.  I do not remember any scout camping experiences like both of my brothers had in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.  I do remember making a buddy burner and cooking a hamburger on it at an afternoon outing with the Girl Scout troop.  

     This has been a fun walk down my own memory lane.

 

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however, if they are inappropriate, they will not be published.    PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2024, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser


No comments:

Post a Comment