Sunday, February 14, 2010

Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers Games--Opening Ceremonies


I am very excited to be participating in the Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers Games right along with the athletes in Vancouver. Some of the challenges are items that I already do; however, they need a little fine tuning ;-) Others are projects that are on my "To Do" list, so they will now become "Must Do".


My Winter 2010 flag incorporates the three most prevalent countries in my family tree. The United States where I live and on my paternal grandmother's side has lived since the Jamestown colony. The flag of the United Kingdom represents my paternal grandfather and grandmother's roots. It was not until I participated in a Randy Seaver SNGF that I realized just how many German ancestors my tree holds, so the German flag has to be included, too. In the middle is the Hughes coat of arms--my surname.

I had to check my work schedule for the coming week to see how much "free" time I have to devote to the Winter Games. I would love to compete in all six events, but think that choosing only a couple would be more prudent; however, if the following week's work schedule is light, I just might add a few more!

Most definitely, I will compete in the Go Back and Cite Your Sources. Last year I began the process of updating my sources and it got lost in the shuffle. I AM one of those genealogists who opens up FTM and wonders, "Where in the world did I ever find that information!" Much of it is in my hard files, in loose notebooks scattered here and there and in the books I have purchased. The time has come to concentrate on this and hopefully I will be awarded a platinum medal.

Write, Write, Write is the next event I plan to enter. I have yet to write a summary of my blog or participate in a 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy. I think I can get to the diamond medal stage and maybe surprise myself with a platinum!

Reach Out and Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness is my third event. I am already a contributor to Find A Grave and also work on family trees for many of my friends--gratis. I should be able to earn a platinum medal on this one.

My stretch in the competition will be to tackle the Back Up Your Data and Organize Your Research events. I will be a late comer to those events depending on my work week. I hope to at least give it a go because these are two events that need some work in my genealogical house.

I have set my bar high and hope to come back with the platinum and diamond.

What fun!!! Let the games begin in GeneaBlogger Land.


© 2010, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser

No comments:

Post a Comment