Thursday, September 23, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday--Tiffin Glass Candy dish


Sometimes I wonder if enjoyment of glassware is a genetic trait. My mother loved glass. She collected various glass pieces....items that caught her fancy when out and about to more expensive pieces of Steuben.

When I was attending Heidelberg College....now called Heidelberg University in Tiffin, Ohio, I was pleased to find that there was a factory in town that made crystal and glass. For me a pleasant afternoon was browsing the tables in the factory. As an impoverished student I was unable to afford the "firsts"--the flawless pieces that were still sold at reduced prices. My area was the tables of "seconds"--pieces that were flawed, but still saleable.

You can imagine that Christmas gifts for my Mom came from the Tiffin Glass Factory.

The piece above is from a collection that once belonged to my mother-in-law. While cleaning out the condo, I found this avocado green glass candy dish in a cupboard. There was no doubt in my mind that it was Tiffin and it came home with me.



Top taken off exposes that the dish is divided into three sections.



This would be classified as a second. This photo shows a flaw in the handle--a tiny bubble. There were several other bubbles in one of the sides.

I would guess that Helena purchased this piece from the factory in the 1960's. The factory closed it's doors in 1980.

History of Tiffin Glass

© 2010, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser

1 comment:

  1. Nice to have another detailed story about one of your treasurers. And, as usual, your photography is great. Think of the things you will pick up in Russia, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete