Saturday, March 6, 2010

Fearless Females #6--Heirlooms--Pin of Martha Marie Frederick Stark


March 6 — Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.). If you don't have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.). Thank you to Lisa over at The Accidental Genealogist for supplying a month's worth of prompts celebrating Women's History Month.

     As a genealogist I am very blessed to have a variety of items from which to choose for this blog. In particular, all of the items passed along from my maternal grandmother, Martha Marie Frederick Stark, are in my possession......one of those only girl of an only girl songs. My dilemma occasionally is trying to decide if the item is a Frederick or a Stark antique.


     Although I do have many pieces of jewelry along with my grandmother's diamond engagement ring, I have decided to choose a sweet little pin that probably belonged to her as a young woman. Teek (my nickname for her) was employed for many years as a stenographer before she married and I think she had numerous pieces of jewelry. This one has survived over one hundred years.


     I would guess that it was either a lapel pin or a tie/scarf tack. I have seen her in photos wearing a scarf hanging down from under her collar like a tie.



     The pin is about the size of a penny, has a little enameling on the flower petals and is 14 karat gold.


© 2010, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser

1 comment:

  1. Linda, you have some lovely items. The pin and the spoon from last week. I intended to comment about the spoon, but instead saved your link to go over it again. I imagine you had to clean the silverware? Something I'm not looking forward to, but still, if I want to show it, it need to be done.
    Now, did you have to clean the pin? It is simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete