Monday, January 25, 2010

SNGF on Monday: My Other Interests

Following a weekend of work related activities, I am getting around to the latest Saturday Night Genealogy Fun. Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings has issued this challenge: Tell us about your "other" hobbies or interests outside of genealogy and family history research, writing, speaking, etc.


Contrarary to popular family belief, I DO have a life outside genealogy. The issue arises out of the fact that many of my hobbies seem to always circle back around to some form of genealogy research. I love to travel, but try as I may, travel always finds me in a cemetery, taking photos....any cemetery....anyone's family. It is just common policy now that if we drive past a cemetery, someone will ask, "Do you want to stop here?"


I love to visit towns, especially the small towns that dot our country. Again, I tend to be looking up...up at the top of old buildings for those family surnames and a date in stone, which I turn around into my blog series, Stories in Stone. I just can't help it!!!

I think my love of water sports is beyond the genealogical realm. I love to swim and kayak. This summer we do plan to take two separate trips to kayak, however one will be outside Morgantown, West Virginia which will leave me within a short drive away from the WVU genealogical library and the other is very near where my Hughes cousins' mother and about 100 years of her descendants lived.....do we hear genealogy here....again....

Gardening. I love to dig in the dirt and perennials are my passion. This one is genealogy free.....OR do I love gardening because some of my ancestors were farmers ;-)

I love to read. I have stacks of books ready to open, but it seems that my reading always goes back to genealogy related articles and books.

Photography. Miss Snap Happy is my nickname. Have Camera Will Travel. I do take photos of non genealogical places, people and items, however, with my blog, it seems that more and more snapping is for photos to accompany my writing....which means GENEALOGY.

I guess I am just hopelessly and HAPPILY addicted.




© 2010, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser

4 comments:

  1. I have many hobbies that don't relate to genealogy. Mostly artsy stuff.
    Where did you get your Addicted to Genealogy ribbon? May I copy it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picked it up along the way....of course you can copy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, another great post, how come it is you can turn everything back to genealogy? LOL You had me smiling and giggling all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, LindaLee, maybe you are just more honest than the rest of us about relating everything to genealogy. Maybe there isn't really life outside those brick walls?

    ReplyDelete