Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Graveyard Rabbits Carnival--Cemetery Critters

Thank you to Diane Wright for submitting this GYR topic. I was not too certain if this meant live or tombstone critters, so I am submitting both.

This friendly fellow joined us on our search of the Union Cemetery in Independence, West Virginia back in July, 2008. I don't often see domesticated animals visiting cemeteries when I am wandering around photographing tombstones, so this was a bit unusual. Hence the reason for the photo.

I had information from another family researcher that my ggg Grandmother Sarah McElroy VanGilder was buried in Union Cemetery. The cemetery is located in a rather out of the way location. Thank goodness for Garmin!

Sarah McElroy VanGilder tombstone on Flipside




The second photograph is of a tombstone critter. Of the thousands of gravemarkers I have photographed, this is the only one that has an animal displayed. The bird is shown in front of a cross and sitting on a beautifully carved block. It is the marker of John Heller, died February 7, 1895 at age 51 years 7 months 24 days and found in Greenlawn Cemetery, Tiffin, Seneca County, Ohio.


© 2010, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser

1 comment:

  1. its really very nice cemetery pictures i like them all thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete