Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Report Book of Warren Cedric Hoffman, Knox Township, Columbiana County, Ohio



I am crediting the idea for this blog to Dr. Bill over at Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories. His recent blog regarding a 1950's school booklet jiggled my memory. Years back I purchased a Report Book (grade card) for a young student in Columbiana County, Ohio. My Frederick family (maternal grandmother) lived in Columbiana County for years before moving into the Allegheny County, Pennsylvania area. When browsing antique stores, anything Columbiana County, Ohio was and is fair game.




The report book belonged to Warren Hoffman and judging from his grades, he was an excellent student. When I purchased this little booklet, probably back in the mid to late 1990's, it would have taken me some digging into microfilm to find out information on the family. Since the Hoffman surname is not my family, I put my purchase in a file, knowing I had it. Now in 2010, I simply let my fingers do the walking and VOILA a family history becomes easy with the records on line.



Warren Cedric Hoffman, son of Ira and Emma Heastand Hoffman, was born February 6, 1900 in Homeworth, Columbiana County, Ohio. On December 23, 1922 he married Leta Fay Davis in Lisbon, Columbiana County, Ohio.1

On the 1930 Ohio census report, the Hoffmans were living on Cherry Street in Homeworth, Columbiana County, Knox Township, Ohio. Warren and Leta had two children, Mary E. and Warren I. The report also shows that Warren Cedric was an employee of a local supply company.2




I located a death certificate for son, Warren I. Hoffman, who died on October 11, 1942 at Elyria Hosptial, Elyria, Lorain County, Ohio at the age of 17. The Hoffmans were living in Wellington, Lorain County, Ohio at the time.


Wellington is not far from where I live. I am continually amazed at how some of my searches bring me right back home! Ancestry has the Elyria newspaper on line, so finding Warren Cedric's obituary was pretty simple. He died at home in Wellington, Ohio on March 25, 1956.

I was able to locate a death record for Leta Hoffman, who was a public school teacher in the Wellington system until she retired at the end of the school term 1968.3 She died at the Cleveland Clinic on May 7, 1982.4

Both Warren Cedric and his son, Warren I. were buried in Moultrie Chapel Cemetery, Columbiana County, Ohio. I was able to locate the death certificate for Warren's father, Ira Hoffman, who is also buried there. I would imagine that Leta Davis Hoffman and Emma Heastand Hoffman's final resting places are at Moultrie Chapel Cemetery.

If you relate to any of these folks, please contact me.

Sources:

1. Ancestry.com Family Trees. (Note: Information regarding the date of death is incorrect on Family Tree page).

2. 1930 Ohio Federal Census, Knox Twonship, Columbiana County, Roll 1759; Page: 15A; Enumeration District: 12.

3. The Chronicle Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, April 10, 1968, page 27

4.Ancestry.com and Ohio Department of Health. Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2002 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006. Certificate: 031570; Volume: 24834

Names listed in the booklet:

Board of Education
H.C. Hoffman.....President
Jos. Crist

M.F. Heastand
Jno. Sturgeon
Jas. L. Scott
J.E. Pilmer......Clerk
Geo. W. Glass.....Treasurer

Teachers
Mary A. Scott
Chester Stofer
W.W. Stroup
C.C. Stackhouse
Iva N. Miller
Edith M. Greenisen
Carrie Stofer
Vesta Sanor
Elzona Stroup
Ansalom J. Cobbs
Edward Brsaid
Susan B. McQuilkin
O.C. Hahn
Ruth Pilmer
Helen E. Brooke


© 2010, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser

No comments:

Post a Comment