Sunday, December 20, 2009

Opening a Memory Every Holiday Season--Family Christmas Tree Ornaments


My friend Paul gave me the idea for this blog during a facebook comment session. Each year I purchase an ornament for the house and when my son's were born, one for each of them. The ornaments are carefully dated and the name of the owner is written on the back. Some are just for fun, some commemorate an important event, some are very fragile, some are not. As in many families, ornaments are given as gifts by other family members, so we have tree decorations from grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, grandaunts and uncles and on and on. Forty years of tree decorations and growing.





Each holiday season, trimming the tree becomes a walk down memory lane. I usually don't have much, if any help, so it all falls to me. And, I don't mind, especially when it comes to hanging the ornaments. I love it. As I pull each one out of the box it's like opening a memory.



I decided to take a few photos of some of the ones currently on the 2009 tree. I only hang ornaments that are fairly sturdy since I have three cats who are extremely curious about Christmas trees and those shiny things hanging on the branches. The fragile glass ones live safely in a box.





© 2009, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser

3 comments:

  1. Paul Ernest SandersonDecember 20, 2009 at 7:55 AM

    Wow Linda, your tree is a personal museum. Congratulations to you for keeping them in such good condition. Very interesting, you keep history alive.
    You need two trees!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, wonderful, memory blasters! Well done!! Or as Carol is known to say:

    WAHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about memory lane. I am like that with my Santa figures.
    My favorite on your tree is the one from Grandma Woo but I think the best one is the 9/11 flag.

    ReplyDelete