Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday--Robert Bell Frederick, Jr. and Roxanne Anderson Frederick


     Robert Bell Frederick, Jr., son of Robert Bell Frederick and Mary Alice Bradley, was born on December 11, 1911 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania and died in 1976.  He is my first cousin once removed.


     He married Roxanne (Roxie) Anderson. I do not know who her parents were. She was born January 9, 1918 and died on May 7, 2006.


First Cousins
Robert Bell Frederick, Jr. holding my mother,
Martha Jean Stark
Circa 1922

     I had the good fortune to speak by telephone with Roxie and we shared information on the Frederick family through letters. Until I met Roxie, I had no idea what the "B" stood for in the name Robert B. Frederick. She told me that the family was close to the Bell family in Columbiana County, Ohio in the late 1800's. In fact, I think it was Lucinda Orr Frederick, who was close to the Bell family. She was enumerated on the farm of Robert Bell back in 1860. Lucinda was the grandmother of Robert Bell Frederick, Jr. I believe that the friendship was through the Orr line and not the Frederick.

     She also gave me a good laugh in one of her letters when she referred to my maternal grandmother, Martha Marie Frederick Stark as "Dear Freddie". For years after reading that letter, Teek became Dear Freddie to my brothers and I. I had never heard anyone refer to Teek as Freddie; however, as I read through some of her old correspondence, Freddie was her nickname within the family and to some of her girlfriends at work.

     Robert and Roxanne are buried at Allegheny County Memorial Park, Allison Park, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.  Also in the same lot are Robert's parents and one of their sons, Robert Bell Frederick III, a bank teller, who was killed in Pittsburgh during a bank robbery in 1971.

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however, if they are inappropriate, they will not be published. 

 PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2011, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser


No comments:

Post a Comment