Sunday, April 3, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy--The 1940 Census


I can't wait to get a peek at the 1940 Federal Census and thank Randy over at Genea-Musings who has challenged us to think about it for this week's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun.

A cousin of mine just sent me the blank 1940 census so I could see what the questions would be.  I did notice one, that I don't think has been on a census in the past:  Highest grade of school completed.  I have no idea how far some of my ancestors went in school.  I have heard that all my grandparents....maternal and paternal....completed 8th grade.  I believe that was the norm in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  They all went to work after graduation.....one as a draftsman, one as a numbers cruncher, one as a secretary and one as a stenographer.

There are several people I am particularly interested in finding after the 1940 census opens. I have not been able to locate my paternal great grandmother and my paternal great great grandmother in 1930 and I know they were either living in Woodlawn or Monaco, Pennsylvania. Hopefully, I will be lucky in 1940.

Lately, I have been blogging about my Pinyerd family and I am curious to see if the husband and wife are still living together in 1940 as my research had lead me to believe that they may have separated.

Of course I want to find my Mom and Dad, who would both be nineteen and in college.  I wonder if they will be included....did they enumerate college campuses?  It will be my Aunt Faith's first census.

My primary targets will be family whose whereabouts I already know....and I think I will only search for those in smaller towns.

I can't wait!!!!  I hope I make it for the 1950 census opening as it will be my first enumeration.  WAHOO

FYI on the 1940 Federal Census:
- Questions asked on the census report.
- Copy of a blank 1940 census report.

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however if they are inappropriate, they will not be published. 

PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2011, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser


2 comments:

  1. I almost got goosebumps looking at the blank 1940 census report! I can't wait till we can see all the pages that were actually filled out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went to a lecture by a NARA archivist who explained the 1940 form, and told a lot of the new information we will will see. After seeing this post, I think I should write it up so everyone will be prepared.

    ReplyDelete