Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Sarah Ann Woollet Lepard of Attica, Seneca County, Ohio
This week I received an e-mail from another researcher who found that I had inadvertently placed a distant family member in the wrong cemetery on Find-a-Grave. Years back, when I first began working on my family genealogy, I located my maternal great grandfather, Alfred Frederick (yes the same great grandfather whose brick wall crumbled this week) living in Attica, Seneca County, Ohio in 1860 with the Lepard family.
At that time I had no idea why Great Grandfather had moved to Attica from Columbiana County, Ohio.....and why he was living, in 1860, with the Lepard family1. Poking around in the census reports, and marriage records of Columbiana County gave me the answer. Mrs. Lepard aka Sarah Ann Woollet Lepard was Alfred Frederick's first cousin.
Sarah Ann was born on August 8, 1836 in Seneca County, Ohio (probably Venice Township). She was the daughter of Samuel Woollet and Catherine Frederick2. Catherine Frederick was the sister of Joseph C. Frederick, Alfred's father. Catherine married Samuel Woollet in Columbiana County on October 10, 18313 and the newly weds removed to Venice Township in Seneca County, Ohio.
Sarah married Isaac Lepard on Mar 23,1856 in Seneca County, Ohio4. Isaac a veteran of the Civil War having served with Co. M., 1st OHA5was employed in Attica as a house carpenter6 for the majority of his adult life.
During the 1870, the Lepard family removed to Clinton Township, Seneca County, Ohio and he farmed7. This is the same area outside Tiffin, Ohio where my husband's maternal ancestors were farmers. Small world...
In 1909, the Attica City Directory lists the Lepard family as living on Tiffin Street in Attica8. If I am reading an article on page 148 of Centennial Biographic History of Seneca County, Ohio, regarding Isaac Lepard...."He is one of the leading residents of that city, and for two years he has served with efficiency as its street commissioner."9
The Lepards had six children:
1. William H. Lepard born January 27, 1857 in Venice Township, Seneca County, Ohio, died September 12, 1939 in Venice Township, Seneca County, Ohio. William married Alica A. Finch.
2. Matella A. Lepard born February 8, 1859 (or 1861), Venice Township, Seneca County, Ohio, died May 24, 1941, Attica, Venice Township, Seneca County, Ohio. Matella married Abraham W. Hull.
3. Emma E. Lepard born April 3, 1862, Venice Township, Seneca County, Ohio, died May 15, 1946. Emma married John E. Meyers.
4. Alice R. Lepard born July 23, 1864 in Venice Township, Seneca County, Ohio, died on July 11, 1946 in Venice Township, Seneca County, Ohio. Alice married first, William H. Ayers and second, Emanuel Kaufman.
5. Edward G. Lepard born December 3, 1866 in Venice Township, Seneca County, Ohio, died on September 7, 1935 in Gallipolis, Gallia County, Ohio. Edward married Martha Hull.
6. Harry Lepard born July 1874, Venice Township, Seneca County, Ohio, died in 1954, Venice Township, Seneca County, Ohio. Harry married Maggie B. Smith.
Isaac died on June 12, 1913 in Seneca County, Ohio10 and Sarah Ann followed three years later on November 17, 191611. Both buried in Attica Cemetery.
1. 1860 Ohio Federal Census, Seneca County, Venice Township, Attica Post Office page 233.
2. Ohio Death Certificate, (Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics), Seneca County, #73577.
3. Bell, Carol Willsey, Columbiana County Ohio Marriages 1800-1870 and Other Evidence of Marriages, (Bell Books, Youngstown, Ohio, 1990), page 322.
4. Sandusky County Ohio Marrige Record, Seneca County, Ohio Marriages, 1851-99. County court records located at Tiffin, Ohio.
5. Baughman, J. J. History of Seneca County, Volume I, 1911, page 243
6. Ohio Census 1860, 1880, 1900 and 1910.
7. 1870 Ohio Federal Census, Seneca County, Clinton Township, Tiffin Post Office, page 77.
8. 1909 Attica City Directory, Marion Directory Company, page 339
9. Centennial Biographical History of Seneca County, Ohio, Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1902, page 148.
10. Seneca County Ohio Cemetery Inscriptions (Tiffin, OH: Seneca County Genealogical Society, 1987)
11. Ohio Death Certificate, (Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics), Seneca County, #73577.
© 2010, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser