Monday, April 19, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday--William Asby Poole

     William Asby Poole is my paternal first cousin three times removed. He is the son of George Henry Poole and Martha Jane Kennedy. I am related through the Poole line. 

     From other family researchers I have learned that William was called Billy. He was a dairy farmer and never married. His vital statistics can be seen on his death certificate located at the end of the blog. 

     Billy's name was derived from his great grandfather Rev. Asby Pool and his grandfather Rev. William Lanham Pool. The Pool surname changed at the end of the 19th century. Apparently, those relations in the Morgantown, West Virginia area decided to add a final letter "e" to their name thus making it Poole. William Asby, his parents and his brothers and sisters are all buried at East Oak Grove in Morgantown, West Virginia.



I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however, if they are inappropriate, they will not be published.    PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2010, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser

© 2010, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser

5 comments:

  1. Of course I'm going to respond! I don't see that we have a connection yet, darn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, I'm related to you through Asby Pool, the great circuit riding minister of 200 years ago. He had a son Walter and Walter's son John Asby Poole. John Asby 1855-1920 was a minister as was his brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10899515

    ReplyDelete
  4. William Asby "Billy" Poole is my 9th cousin 4 times removed. Common ancestors: Antoine Leroux Dit Roux 1613 - 1666 and Jeanne Marie Joiry 1614 - 1709.

    ReplyDelete