Saturday, April 10, 2010

Festival of Postcards--Geography--Threave Castle, Scotland

Threave Castle postcard I sent to my Dad in 2005

     Have you ever found a place that is special.....a comfort zone? One of mine is Threave Castle located on the River Dee, Kirkcudbrightshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. Back in 2003, when I first had the pleasure of visiting numerous "family" castles in the Dumfries area, this one just felt special. Although there is not much left....the interior is gone, I could almost imagine bygone days. Sitting at one of the windows and watching far beyond the River Dee hoping that visitors would arrive.

     I have decided to add a couple of my own photos here to illustrate:



     The wooden floors of the castle are long gone, but you can see the window seat in front of the open window.

     My special place to sit and let my mind wander is a bench hidden behind the foliage. It is near the barn like structure (which is an information and gift shop) to the left of the castle.


     Getting to Threave. The parking lot is a pleasant walk beside a cow pasture. There are even a few Highland cows behind the fences. The walkway ends at a jetty. A little motor boat takes tourists back and forth across the River Dee.

Back of the Threave Castle postcard I sent to my Dad


     The poem Lord Maxwell's Good-night by Anonymous mentions many of the Maxwell castles in the Dumfries area. When I revisited in 2005, I made certain to see each one. Of course, Threave was still my favorite. The verse on Threave--

"Adieu! Dumfries, my proper place,
But and Carlaverock fair!
Adieu! the castle of the Threave
And all my buildings there!"



© 2010, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser

4 comments:

  1. Aye, and ye made me heart yearn to return to my castles in the heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The postcard, photos and your words left me feeling like I was there. Don't you just wish you could stand and look out that window with the window seat?

    Thank you for sharing. It made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I nominated you (again) for the Ancestors Approved Award. I didn't scroll down far enough in your blog. So sorry, you don't have to do it again. But I love your blog anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What awesome landscape -- love it!

    ReplyDelete