Sunday, November 8, 2009

Monday Madness--Little Mont Mettie Munger, Jr.


Apologies to all lovers of SNGF bloggers. Saturday Night I became involved with my Stark family genealogy, which was not on topic this weekend.

I was checking some of my cousin Kent's on-line notes and noticed that one of the younger members of my Mom's Stark Family generation, Mont Mettie Munger, Jr., a year older than my Mom, was put into a children's home following his own mother's death in 1927. I was stunned! His father was still alive, an older sister as well. Plus the entire Stark Family support system lived within the same small town of Avalon, Pennsylvania. What could have possibly prompted them to send this young fellow to a home?



Cousins--Junior and my Mother


Junior's 1930 census listing at the United Presbyterian Home
click on image to view the report

At first I thought that this was one of those apocryphal family tales, but I checked the 1930 Pennsylvania census and there he was listed in the United Presbyterian Home in Butler, PA. He was only 11.


There is little more to the story....Mont, Jr. later changed his name to Robert. I have no idea what he did with his life, if he married or had children. I did locate a World War II registration and he served in the Army. There is also a death listing for him in Florida.

Cousins--Junior, my Mother, Wilma Munger (Junior's sister), Lois and Dorothy Cooper
Sitting on the running board of Uncle Walter's car


Perhaps a relation will read this an contact me with more information. I hope so.

Mont Mettie Munger, Jr. changed his name to Robert M. Munger
Son of Mont Mettie Munger, Sr. and Lucy Wilma Stark
Born on April 06, 1920 in Avalon, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Died on June 27, 2007 at Lake Worth, Palm Beach County, Florida
Known to family as "Junior"




2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting mystery; hope you are able to find an answer. It's hard to imagine why someone in the family didn't take him in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is an interesting story to check out.
    Once again you have posted an interesting, thought provoking post and I would like to pass on a new Kreativ Blogger award to you. Come by and pick it up for your sidebar. It is different than the other one.
    http://www.familytreesmaycontainnuts.com/2009/11/kreative-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete