Elizabeth Ann is my paternal great great grand aunt. She was born May 24, 1840 on a farm on Aarons Creek near the Dorsey Settlement, in Monongalia County, (West) Virginia, the oldest child of William Lanham Pool and Anne Louise Frum1.
Elizabeth attended a subscription school taught by the Scottish master, Christopher Nicholson, near the family farm2.
The McClure’s raised nine children on their farm in the Morgan District, Monongalia County, West Virginia. They are: John Frum McClure, Oliver Lanham McClure, Martha Ann McClure, Mary Matilda McClure, Virginia Belle McClure, George Jerome McClure, James Sampson McClure, William Asby McClure, and Edson Woodville McClure4.
Elizabeth, known to family as Sis and Aunt Sis, was a devote member of the Rock Forge Methodist Church in Rock Forge, Monongalia County, West Virginia5.
She died at age 87 years 11 months on April 24, 1928 at Aaron’s Creek in the Morgan District, Monongalia County, West Virginia6. She is buried beside her husband of 54 years at East Oak Grove Cemetery in Morgantown, West Virginia7.
1. West Virginia Certificate of Death, (West Virginia Department of Health), Monongalia County #6757.
2. Robert Poole Wilkins, The Poole Family of Hampshire and Monongalia Counties, West Virginia, Grand Forks, North Dakota, 1988, page 31.
3. The New Dominion, Morgantown, West Virginia, Tuesday Morning, April 24, `928, page 12.
4. Wilkins, page 31-32.
5. Wilkins, photograph identification.
6. West Virginia Certificate of Death
7. East Oak Grove Cemetery, Morgantown, West Virginia, personal visit.