Wednesday, August 15, 2018

70 Florence Street, West Hartlepool. England


     70 Florence Street, Longhill, West Hartlepool, England.  A few "bits and bobs" I found in the Hartlepool, England newspaper along with a regurgitation and compilation of other Flipside blogs pulling it all together on this house that is no longer standing.

Mary Ann Storey Hughes
Standing in front of the Hughes Green Grocer Shop
70 Florence Street, Longhill, West Hartlepool, England




     I promise that this will be the final time I post this photo.....lol  To be fair, it is the only photo of my paternal 2x great grandmother and the Hughes shop that seems to have survived AND I recently saw that the booklet that I quote from extensively, Reflections beneath the "Wagga Moon" by Edward Powell has appropriated it for the cover of one edition.  I do not remember any email asking permission.  Hopefully at a minimum Mary Ann is identified.


Red box at about the location of the Longhill streets


     These photos give a much better idea of the Longhill area of West Hartlepool and its proximity to the Iron and Steel Works. No wonder the air was filled with smoke, noise and chemicals.  Certainly not an ideal section of town.  
   
     George and Mary Ann Hughes moved from 61 Hill Street in Longhill to 70 Florence Street, Longhill sometime between 1899-1900. Various documents that I have access to have shown me that they decided to become green grocers and move a street away to a location that was designed to be a shop of some sort. I believe that George also decided to devote his time to running the shop and to no longer work in one of the local factories.  A retirement of sorts.  He would have been age forty eight at this time.


     Found in a 1884 West Hartlepool newspaper, Lot # 2, 70 Florence Street in Longhill was up for sale.  This was a decade plus before George Henry Hughes purchased the unit.  Listed as a corner house and shop with a basement and cellar on the ground floor, a spacious shop, front kitchen and one in back with three rooms above.  Company's water laid on and every convenience--I wonder what that means?  Inside running water?  Were there toilets or an out house in the back?

     Census reports from 1901 and 1911 provide insight into which family members were still living with George Henry and Mary Ann Storey Hughes.  My paternal great grandfather (John George Hughes) was married and living with his wife and son before 1901. 




In 1901:
  1. Samuel Hughes, age 24, coal hawker
  2. Mary Alice Hughes age 19, domestic service
  3. Joshua (Joseph) Hill Hughes, age 16, coal hawker
  4. Thomas Henry Hughes, age 15, coal hawker
  5. Elizabeth Hughes, age 15, dressmaker
  6. William A. Hughes, age 12
  7. Aidan Hughes, age 6 

In 1911:
  1. Thomas Hughes, age 24, coal hawker
  2. Aidan Hughes, age 16, coal hawker
  3. Eli Marsh, age 35, tool fitter
  4. Mary Alice Hughes Marsh, age 29
  5. Albert Marsh, under 1 month
In 1930:



     To date the UK census reports open to the public end with 1911; however I did find an electoral roll polling data sheet on ancestry with lists the members of the voting Hughes Family members residing at 70 Florence Street in 1930.





     Along with the usual groceries sold in early 1900 UK green grocery shops, Mary Ann Hughes, also referred to an Annie, sold her baked goods to customers anxious to taste her bakery.  Edward Powell, in his booklet, Reflections beneath the "Wagga Moon", has mentioned the Hughes shop twice in his remembrance of the Longhill area.  Mary Ann's talent must have been well regarded in the neighborhood if this author remembers her name over the years.  I thank him for giving me an insight into my paternal great great grandmother's skill in the kitchen. 



     The son's of George and Mary Ann spent some of their working years as coal hawkers, carrying coal up and down West Hartlepool streets in a horse drawn cart.  As early as 1911, there are  newspaper articles in the local newspaper listing cart horses for sale by Thomas Hughes and he gives 70 Florence Street as the address.  



     Following Mary Ann's death in 1935, Hughes family members continued to live at 70 Florence Street.  There are several articles listing pigs for sale by Thomas Hughes.  I understand at this time many UK families housed a piggery behind their house.  Apparently the Hughes family did too.

     The demolition of the streets in the Longhill area began around 1937-1938.  The newspaper article articulates the living conditions far better than I.  The adult Hughes children were either married or living in another house by this time and the Marsh family, who lived at 70 Florence Street until it was demolished, moved to Borrowdale Street in West Hartlepool.  




          George and Mary Ann Hughes lived the majority of their married life in the Longhill area.  Perhaps when it was first designed it was somewhat more livable than in later years; however from most written material I have read, the area was always deplorable.  Why did they stay there?  Not enough money to rent or purchase a better living condition?  Even if their house was larger and kept up, they still had to contend with the other houses and streets.  No answers.....only questions.



  I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however, if they are inappropriate, they will not be published.    PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2018, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser


4 comments:

  1. I'm doing some work on my husband's family. I was interested to discover your blog for 2 reasons.
    (1) His paternal grandfather worked for the Steel works in Hartlepool. (2) His maternal grandfather owned a small store in Croydon, Surrey, after WW1!
    It seems his grandfather's sister married a Thomas Hughes, possibly in 1917, and they had 4 children.
    Thank you for posting your research

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, thank you for this.... My Great Grandad (Saul Griffiths) originally from Wales, lived at no 38 Florence Street. So some of the information relating to your family has helped me to get a sense of the place in which my family lived. I too was born in Hartlepool and come from a long line of Griffiths. Many Thanks....Derek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. My great great grandad and his wife - George and Mary Ann London lived at 27 Florence Street for all of their married life. Thanks for posting this. It gives me an insight into their lives. My great Grandad Joseph and his wife Elizabeth London spent a lot of their life at 44 Alice Street. It seems my family had it hard in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda my grandad Richard Hughes lived at 50 florence Street his dad was called James Hughes they also lived at 43 Hill Street at one time,my dad is called George Hughes and lived on mainsforth terrace then later moved to garibaldi Street, I find this all fascinating I'm trying to find as much information as I can ,I wonder if my grandad Richard Hughes was related to George Hughes and his wife x

    ReplyDelete