Friday, August 28, 2015

Weiss Family of West Hartlepool, England

     


      It wasn't until I was working on updating my genealogy website that I realized that I never blogged about my paternal third great grandparents, Frederick Heindrich Adolph Weiss and Ferdinande Lehman.  There are still so many missing pieces to their story and hopefully some descendant will wander onto Flipside and email me.  

     I have no photos of these ancestors....only census reports and death certificates.  

     Frederick, was born circa 1826 in Mecklenburg, Germany and married Ferdinande Lehman, born in Hanover, Germany circa 1827.  My guesstimate on the marriage is 1852 in Germany.
     
     Two known children were products of the marriage.  Adolphus Hermann W. Weiss born about 1853 in Hamburg, Germany and my paternal great great grandmother Ferdinande Weiss who was born November 14, 1855 in Hamburg, Germany.


My brothers and I walked the area in Hartlepool where
our Weiss ancestors lived when we visited in 2003.

     By 1861, the Weiss Family was living in West Hartlepool, England as evidenced by the 1861 United Kingdom Census Report.  Their home was at 3 John Street in the ecclesiastical district of Christ Church.  At that time Frederick was employed as a dock laborer.

Death Certificate of Frederick Heindrich Adolph Weiss

     On December 27, 1870, at age forty two, Frederick Weiss died at his home on Victoria Terrace, West Hartlepool, England of pneumonia.  The place of burial is not listed on the certificate; however, most people who died before 1912 were buried in North Cemetery.  It is interesting to note that at the time of his death, Frederick was a brokers clerk.  In 1874, when Frederick's daughter, Ferdinande, married Christian Olesen, she listed her father's occupation as banker.

     Following her husband's death, Ferdinande continued to live in the home on Victoria Terrace with her two children, Adolph and Ferdinande.  Listed in the 1871 United Kingdom Census report, Ferdinande is operating a lodging house in her home and her children are both employed.  Adolph as an apprentice to an outfitter and Ferdinande as a dressmaker.  I was most surprised to find that one of the lodgers listed in the Weiss home was Christian Olesen, my paternal great great grandfather, who later married the younger Ferdinande Weiss.

     On the 1881 United Kingdom Census, Ferdinande at age fifty four, was living at 10 Lower Reed Street, Stranton.  Both of her children have married.  She is maintaining a lodging house with three man who are involved with the shipping industry and one young woman who is a servant in the home.  Undoubtedly someone to assist Ferdinande with the daily duties of running a lodging home.  

     
Death Certificate of Ferdinande Lehman Weiss

     Ferdinande Lehman Weiss, age sixty two, died on May 22, 1888,  at 20 South Scarboro Street, West Hartlepool, England from dropsy--an old fashioned term for edema.  Contributing factors were cardiac issues.

 Additional information can be found on my genealogy website, which is VERY outdated.  More current information can be found on Flipside:



     I have limited information on the Weiss' son, Adolphus Hermann W. Weiss.  From records I know he married Mary Elizabeth Middlemass, daughter of George Middlemass at All Saints Church, Stranton on September 19, 1876.  To this union was born a son, William Ernest Weiss, born in 1881 in Sunderland, Durham County, England and died in 1882 Were there other children?  Where did they go after 1883?


     Any descendants of Adolph and Mary Elizabeth Weiss, PLEASE contact me.
    
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however, if they are inappropriate, they will not be published.    PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2015, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser


No comments:

Post a Comment