Friday, April 10, 2015

National Siblings Day--The Hughes Kids Circa 1935


     In honor of National Siblings Day, I submit a photo from circa 1934 of the three children of George Henry Hughes and Sarah Margaret VanGilder.  I have found numerous name tweeking in my grandmother's family tree.  Perhaps updating the old spellings.  Who knows.  Her children's names did not escape.

1.  George VanGuilder Hughes, my Dad.  Yes, his Mom decided to add a "u" to VanGilder and I have seen this spelling on numerous elementary, high school and even his medical school degree.  From then on it seemed to revert back to VanGilder. Born July 1, 1921 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania; died on September 6, 2007 in Gibsonia, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.  George married first, Martha Jean Stark and second Edna Mae Thomas.

2.  John Aiden Hughes.  I have to think that the Aiden was in honor of St. Aidan's Parish in Hartlepool, England where generations of our family have been baptized, christened, and buried.  Again, Grams tweeked it....from Aidan to Aiden.  John was called Aiden by family and friends through high school.   Born February 7, 1929 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania and died October 30, 1990 in West Bloomfield, Oakland County, Michigan.  John married first Barbara Ann McGoey and second Patricia Madden.

3.  Faith Carol Hughes.  No name tampering here ;-)  Faith was born on September 29, 1932 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.  She married Edward Norman Roolf, Jr.
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however, if they are inappropriate, they will not be published.    PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2015, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser


No comments:

Post a Comment