|Cover of autograph book once belonging to|
Virginia Isabelle McClure
Genealogy tips do come from some welcome sources as was my good fortune this week. A message was left on one of my family pages out on ancestry alerting me to the sale on Ebay, of an old autograph book, dating from the 1880's, that once belonged to an ancestor.
In the end, I decided to not purchase the book as the price was a little steep. The first owner, Virginia Isabelle McClure, is my first cousin three times removed. I may have anted up if the owner was just a bit less removed. I was able to copy scans of the pages that the seller published and there was a listing of the various signers that could be identified. I guess that will have to suffice.
|January the 1 1885|
To My Friends
My Album is open
Come & see what.
Wont you waste a line
on one. Write but a
thought a word or tot
that memory may revert
Virginia, or Jennie as she is identified by many of the autograph signers, was the daughter of William Steele McClure and Elizabeth Ann Pool. She was born on August 31, 1873, probably on the family farm located in the Morgan District, Monongalia County, West Virginia. The McClure family had previously lived in Greene County, Pennsylvania and Jennie was the first of their children to be born in West Virginia. She had nine brothers and sisters and died at age twenty of a fever on October 23, 1893, in the Morgan District, Monongalia County, West Virginia...probably on the family farm.
|Page that was glued onto the back cover|
of the autograph book
What I learned from the few pages scanned:
- Virginia's date of birth. I had the year, but not the exact date.
- Virginia's date of death. I found it in records found on the West Virginia website, but had it incorrectly written on my FTM database and out on ancestry.
- Virginia's middle name. She is listed as Belle; however, her brother, George Jerome McClure used Isibelle (Isabelle) in the autograph album.
- Virginia was called Jennie by friends and family.
|Note that brother George used the name|
Isibelle (Isabelle) for his sister.
- John McClure--John Frum McClure, Virginia's oldest brother.
- Oliver McClure--Oliver Lanham McClure, Virginia's second oldest brother.
- M.E. Hall
- Emma Church--Emma J. Church, second cousin once removed.
- C. C. McClure
- Belle Fleming
- Martha McClure--Maratha Ann McClure, Virginia's oldest sister.
- E.H Conway--could be Enzor Herschel Conway, husband of her sister Martha.
- George F.C. Hartman
- A. McClure--could be Elizabeth Ann Pool McClure, Virginia's mother.
- J.B. McClure
- Susie Brunner
- George McClure--George Jerome McClure, Virginia's younger brother.
- Joseph Johnson
- C.N. Finnell
- James McClure--probably James Sampson McClure, Virginia's younger brother.
- John Fleming--could be John F. Fleming, first cousin once removed.
- Lida Brunner
- G. F. Lumley
- R.H. Harne
- S.A. Kinsley--Samuel Arlington Kinsley, first cousin twice removed to Virginia.
- G.H. Kinsley--George H. Kinsley, first cousin twice removed to Virginia.
- Edward Kinsley--Edward H. Kinsely, first cousin twice removed to Virginia.
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. All comments are welcome; however, if they are inappropriate, they will not be published.
PLEASE post your e-mail in the comment section if you would like to network about a particular surname or topic. I will capture it for my use only and not include it when I publish your comment.
© 2012, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser