Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fearless Females--#2 Photo of Ancestor


I have gone back through two years of blogs and don't think I have posted this photo in the past. Pictured in a glam pose is my mother, Martha Jean Stark Hughes, on Palm Sunday, 1945. The photo was probably taken in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, perhaps on the University of Pittsburgh campus as Dad was finishing up medical school there at that time.

Unlocking a memory: I note that Mom is wearing a corsage to mark the day. Throughout all my years Growing Up Hughes, there was always a corsage from Dad.....special occasions deserved to be celebrated with flowers. If Mom and Dad were going out....church or dinner, it was a corsage, if not, then a bouquet. And, when I was old enough, I had a corsage to wear too.

© 2011, copyright Linda Hughes Hiser

2 comments: